welcome to MANGROVE Class
Our class teachers are Louise Collinge and Rebecca Cohen and our teaching assistant is Clare Mooney.
TOPIC: Local Geography in Action
This half term our topic is Local Geography in Action
From our immersion, we have discovered that some children already know that:
- St Albans, Hemel and Hatfield are all places in Hertfordshire
- different types of map are used for different purposes
- St Albans has some of the busiest roads in Britain including the M1 and M25
- cars are not good for the environment and cause pollution
So we have decided as a class that we want to find out:
- research road use around the school by completing surveys of the area
- understand what air pollution is, how it affects us and what we can do to alleviate it
- make recommendations about changes to improve safety and air quality in our local area
As part of our topic, we investigated different maps of the local area: located towns in Hertfordshire, used compass directions to orientate ourselves and gave directions using road maps.
On Wednesday 8th May, Setpoint Hertfordshire came to work with Year 5 on a K'Nex Challenge. The children had to work effectively with a partner to design and build a flying machine. There were specifications the children had to consider, although they could also include any engineering ideas they thought of independently.